Come Hunt with CPW

Colorado Parks Wildlife Logo - smDENVER – Colorado Parks and Wildlife over-the-counter (OTC) and over-the-counter with caps (bear and elk) licenses go on sale online, in person, and by phone, Tuesday, July 21, at 9 a.m.

“A valid license is an important step in planning your hunt this and every year in Colorado,” said Henrietta Turner, CPW’s license manager. “A familiarity with CPW’s hunting regulations and brochures goes along way to ensure you can ‘Come Hunt With CPW’ with the right tag for the right location where you choose to hunt.”

Over-the-counter with caps licenses are licenses for bear and elk that are limited in number and only available first-come, first-serve starting at 9 a.m., MDT, July 21.

The list of over-the-counter with caps can be found in the 2015 Big Game Brochure and the over-the-counter with caps list with quotas will be available online July 14. Do note that over-the-counter with caps rifle bear licenses have season participation rules, read more on page 59 of the 2015 Big Game Brochure.

Unlimited over-the-counter licenses are licenses that are unlimited in number and available in a range of units and seasons. There are unlimited over-the-counter licenses for cow and either-sex archery elk, bull elk in the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, either-sex elk in the plains, either-sex archery pronghorn and doe and either-sex whitetail deer.

These licenses are restricted to certain units and manners of take. For more information, please see the maps on pages 30, 34-37 and 49 in the 2015 Big Game Brochure. These licenses are listed in the online system without a hunt code or by asking for the specific OTC license by phone or in person. OTC whitetail deer licenses are only available at CPW offices.

Leftover limited licenses and OTC turkey licenses will be on sale in person and by phone at 9 a.m. MDT, Tuesday, Aug. 4. Leftover licenses will be available for sale online starting at midnight MDT , Aug. 5. Leftover limited licenses are licenses that have gone through the draw process and still have quota remaining. The list of leftover licenses available for purchase is scheduled to be available online July 28.

In addition to a current and valid photo ID, proof of residency and social security number, anyone buying a license must have a Hunter Education card, unless the hunter was born before Jan. 1, 1949. Online verification requires input of the hunter education information located on the card and the state in which it was issued. Bring this card with you for in-person sales.

To sign up for a Hunter Education course go to To request a replacement Colorado hunter education card, go to

Choose to purchase in person at more than 700 licensing agents, including CPW offices, online at or by phone (800-244-5613). A list of license agents can be found at

Resources are available at If you have questions about hunting, contact CPW at 303.297.1192.

CPW is an enterprise agency, relying primarily on license sales, state parks fees and registration fees to support its operations, including: 42 state parks and more than 350 wildlife areas covering approximately 900,000 acres, management of fishing and hunting, wildlife watching, camping, motorized and non-motorized trails, boating and outdoor education. CPW’s work contributes approximately $6 billion in total economic impact annually throughout Colorado.

For more news about Colorado Parks and Wildlife go to:

For more information about Colorado Parks and Wildlife go to:

Filed Under: EnvironmentEventsRecreationSports


About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.