Wilma Eitel …February 25, 1919 – October 6, 2015

Obit 21


Wilma was born on February 25, 1919 in Scott City, Kansas to Asa and Inez Quance. Wilma was the older of their two children. She had a younger brother named Harold, or Tub, as they would call him. When Tub was a baby, Wilma would go outside and then come inside and place her cold hands on baby Tub and say, “he jumped” and laugh.

Wilma went to school through the 8th grade. She rode her horse to school every day and had chores to do after school. Her mother taught her to cook and other household chores.

When Wilma was a teen, she started dating. One night, Wilma and her date were at the dance. A young man who played in the band approached her, in front of her date, and asked her out on a date. Needless to say, she said ‘yes’ and later married Howard Eitel in 1937.

They lived along the Smokey Hill River, down around Scott City. They farmed and ranched there. They had a son, Gale, who was sill born at birth. Then in 1944, they had a daughter, Joann. Then they moved to Sheridan Lake, Colorado where they lived and farmed and raised their daughter, Joann.

Wilma saw a lot in her life. She went through the Dirty Thirties, and the Fifties. Wilma worked hard as a farm wife and having family and friends over for dinner. Wilma would haul water to the cattle every day, gather eggs, butcher chickens, drive trucks in harvest and cook for everybody.

Harvest crews would come in and stay and she would cook for them all. Those who brought their wives, sister-in-laws and nieces, she would let them use her stove to cook for their crew.

She had nieces and nephews live with them and help with the farming and cattle. One nephew even stayed and went to school with Joann. She would sew all of her family’s clothes, even some of her niece’s clothes, doll clothes and quilts. She loved to embroider, do jigsaw and crossword puzzles.

In 1962, Wilma inherited a son-in-law, Vern. One time Wilma was driving the pickup and Joann was with her. In the back of the pickup were Howard and Vern. They were coyote hunting and they told her to speed up because there was a coyote ahead. Wilma said, “I’ve got it floorboarded! I’m going as fast as it will go!” She didn’t know it was in compound low. Needless to say, the coyote got away and she never lived that one down.

In 1963, a Granddaughter Tammy was born into Wilma’s family. In 1965, a Grandson Rick was born and in 1970 another Grandson Timothy was born. She loved her grandkids dearly and would do anything for them. When Tim was two weeks old, Joann was in the hospital for two weeks and during this time Wilma babysat her grandkids during the day. She cared for a newborn, a five year old and a six year old. She loved playing with them and just being with them. Wilma was known as Grandma Pattycake because Howard would play pattycake with them and so they were called Grandma and Grandpa Pattycake from this point on.

When Wilma was fifty-six years old, her granddaughter led her to the Lord and she accepted Jesus as her personal Savior. As the years went by, Wilma had four Great Granddaughters and two Great Grandsons. She loved them even more dearly, if possible and would spoil them and then send them home. She was so blessed.

After Howard passed in 1997, she lived on her own for eighteen years. She did her own cooking, cleaning, washing and whatever needed to be done. She loved animals, especially cats and dogs. She always had a small dog and cat in the house as her close companions, along with several cats and kittens outside. She supported The Humane Society for years.

Wilma also loved flowers, plants and working in her yard. Her yard was always nice to look at. She had a room full of plants and flowers. She loved birds and had a bird feeder outside the kitchen window, so she could see them while doing her dishes.

As the years went by, Wilma had three Great-Great Grandsons and two Great-Great Granddaughters. She was so proud of each one and loved them dearly, of course. Her family was very special to her and she would do anything for each and everyone.

Wilma also had a favorite singer, Alan Jackson. She told her family that he was going to sing at her funeral and her family of course, abides by her last wish!

Wilma, Mother, Grandma Pattycake, Great Grandma Pattycake and Great-Great Grandma Pattycake will be missed so much!

Wilma Eitel passed away on October 6, 2015 at the Bent County Nursing Home in Las Animas. Wilma is survived byher Daughter Joann (Vern) Harris, her grandchildren: Tammy Harris; Rick (Kim) Harris; Tim Harris, her great grandchildren: Trista (Jeremy) Pryor; Trey (Aly) Thayer; Cassie (Benny) Frey; Shelby (Adam) Watts; Megan Linder and Tyler Harris and her great-great grandchildren: Hunter Pryor; Ryker Pryor; Reagan Pryor; Tavea Thayer and Miles Frey. Wilma was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her son and her brother.

Funeral services were held on Saturday, October 10, 2015 at the Sheridan Lake Bible Church with Pastor Tony Jensen officiating. Burial followed in the Sheridan Lake Cemetery. The songs “How Great Thou Art” and “I’ll Fly Away/Washed InThe Blood” were sung by Alan Jackson.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Weisbrod Extended Care in Eads or the Bent County Nursing Home in Las Animas. Friends and family can register online condolences and sign the guestbook at www.brownfuneraldirectors.com. Visitation and funeral services were entrusted to the care of the Brown Funeral Home.

Filed Under: Obituary


About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.