Business of the Week – Wallace Gas & Oil Inc.

You help your community thrive when you shop locally!

Be sure to read The Prowers Journal each week when the Lamar Chamber of Commerce and The Prowers Journal highlight a featured Business of the Week.

This week we are proud to spotlight Wallace Gas & Oil Inc., located at  606 North Main in Lamar.  Call them at: 719-336-7787!

Wallace Gas & Oil Inc. at 606 North Main is a Colorado Corporation formed in 1981. Before that time it was known as Quinn Oil Company. Quinn Oil Company was in business for over 20 years prior to this.

At that time of formation of Wallace Gas & Oil Inc. there were four owners: Edward J. Wallace, Marie R. Wallace, Kenneth R Buxton and Catherine A Buxton.

Since that time Edward J. Wallace & Marie R. Wallace have retired and long time business owner Kenneth Buxton has passed away. He is truly missed by all.

Currently Brett Buxton, Chris Buxton and Tiffany Buxton are all involved in the business along with long time owner Cathy. It is truly a family run business.

The business’ primary sales are petroleum related. The business has one retail service station, two unattended fueling sites and two bulk plants.

The company’s main sales are Gasoline, Diesel Fuels and Propane. Other income includes U-Haul Rentals and the sale of lubricants.

We pride ourselves in being the only full-service service station in Prowers County.

The business service area reaches a 50 mile radius. Retail is 25% of the business leaving 75% to farming, ranching and home heating fuel.

During the spring, summer and fall months we rely on farming, ranching and tourist trade to bring in income. During the winter months we mostly rely on propane (home heating fuel) and if it is a mild winter the farmers begin spring planting early.

Lamar, being a rural community with few big companies looking to relocate here, we must depend on what we have. We always welcome new business such as construction companies building more wind farms, or coal generated power plants.

During the last two years we have purchased the bulk fuel, propane and oil business from Palmer Oil Company and just recently the bulk fuel and propane business from Kaza Brothers in McClave. This was always a dream of Kenny’s and it has happened. I am sure he is looking down and smiling.

All this would not be possible without the help of Chris Brett & Tiffany.

Chris and Brett are instrumental in getting the product delivered to the customers in the shortest time possible. Chris drives our semi and Brett our bulk fuel and propane trucks.

Along with Chris and Brett I have a super office manager in Tiffany who knows no stranger and greets the customers with her big smile. We also have two other qualified drivers, Vic Coberly who joined us in November of 2008. He was an employee of Palmer Oil and has been instrumental in adding to our lubricant sales. He also delivers propane and will soon be retiring in a few years. We hope we can keep him on just for the lubricant sales. Dustin Pearson delivers both refined fuels and propane. The North Main 66 station is staffed by two full time and two part-time people.

We pride ourselves in the service we offer. Product is offered at any location around the country but good home town service is rare.

Being competitive while making a profit is our goal for the years to come.

Filed Under: AgricultureBusiness of the WeekChamber/Local BusinesscommunityEconomyEmploymentEnergyLamarUtilities


About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.