HAZ MAT TEAM CALLED FOR PATIENT Fire Department Incident Reports June 13, 2013

Fire Truck 3

Wednesday, June 12

At 12:09 pm on Wednesday, June 12, Lamar Fire personnel were dispatched to a CO detector activation at 300 S. 8th Street in Lamar.  Upon arrival at the location, the home owner told fire personnel that the CO alarm downstairs had been beeping.  The gas meter showed no CO in the home and it was found that the alarm was approximately eight years old and might be defective.  The home owner was notified that ATMOS Energy was on the way and would verify fire department readings.

At 2:22 pm on Wednesday, June 12, Lamar Fire personnel were dispatched to a medical assist at the Prowers Medical Center located at 401 Kendall Street in Lamar.  The assistance required involved the biohazard decontamination of an EMS patient and crew.  Upon arrival, fire personnel found PMC ER personnel outside of the ER setting up PMC’s decontamination tent with the ambulance sitting directly in front of it.  The ER Manager, L. Day, stated that the patient had been found laying on the floor of a house that was filled with human feces, dog feces, rotten meat and bones.  She noted that the patient was covered in a material that presented a biohazard and requested assistance in teh decontamination of the patient.  Hazmat Technician B. Kemp and M. Widener along with RN H. Perdue of PMC ER dressed in Level B Tybek suits, N95 masks and eye goggles.  The patient was moved into the decontamination tent and the three personnel proceeded to clean and decontaminate the patient.  The patient was moved into the ER and the ambulance crew was then taken to the decontamination showers inside of the building.  All clean up of the scene was completed by PMC staff.

Filed Under: communityFeaturedHealthLamarProwers CountyPublic Safety


About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.